EVHS Media

More than just a class.

The behind the scenes of Eastview Television.

Blake Hoeschen, Reporter

It has been an astonishing 19 years since the first Eastview Television program aired. Created in 1997, headed by Cliff Dodge and Tyler Krebs, the television broadcast program was added to the school. Current teacher Mr. Fornicoia stated that the program was “state of the art” for its’ time. Throughout the course of 19 years, this program has seen many students, upgrades in technology and various other amenities.

The program has evolved a lot since it first started. Beyond getting new equipment, such as cameras, one of the most major changes has been transferring from standard, analog quality to High Definition. Surprisingly, the program initially only had one show, the Flash. Roughly 80 kids would apply for the Flash, so around 2005 the 4Cast was implemented into the program. Although the show was added as a program through the school, all the technology and most other updates it receives are self supported.

Most of the program’s funding comes from what it produces. There are various opportunities available for its’ income, one for example, the video yearbook. The yearbook brings in thousands of dollars to the program. Another source of funding comes from events such as graduation, where the class provides various types of media outlets. Every 3 or 4 years, every lab in the school receives new computers funded by the school. This is very helpful considering the expensive cost of computers which could potentially take away funding for many other technologies used for the show. What truly makes the Flash and 4Cast shine is the life of creative students within it.

Both shows, the Flash and 4Cast, are very unique in that they are student-run. Throughout the week, students plan and execute shows. It may seem quite simple, but behind the scenes, the shows you watch are just icing on the cake. The true recipe is a mixture of planning, video editing and running the show in the operations of an actual news studio. It is clear to see every year, from the first show that airs to the last, there is a lot of improvement. Much of this improvement comes from the bond formed within the class.

When I joined the class second quarter this year, I felt very nervous because it seemed as though everyone knew each other very well and conducted the show like clockwork. Simply put, I was like a chicken running with its’ head cut off. However, this barrier of nervousness was shut down when everyone in the class welcomed me with open arms and helped me become a important member of the team. The class is amazing in its’ essential need for collaboration and teamwork. Through both these aspects, I really feel the class becomes more of a family instead of, well… a regular old class. It is funny how much everyone acts like brothers and sisters whether it be arguing or laughing uncontrollably at something they said. Many of the students in the program have been a part of it for 2 or 3 years.

Multimedia, broadcast journalism, the 4Cast, the Flash all provide a unique way to connect with the teacher behind it all, Mr. Fornicoia. It is a very unique aspect the program provides considering there are no classes in the entire school quite like these ones. Mr. Fornicoia said it’s tough to see the students go because “#1 relationships are built and the quality of the leadership and work they do is hard to let go”. As students come and go, there is plenty each class has to offer.

Each year, students of the Flash and 4Cast provide stories among the school and community. Students are able to bring light to stories of injustice in the community, current events and more which really make a difference. The stories and the way they are executed really provide a lot to the audiences that watch. It is important to add that the work and stories of the show would not be possible without the administration. Mr. Fornicoia was talking about the great help they do and how “they are fantastically supportive of what we do and without that, we can’t grow and become the journalists we want to be”. This is very true in that each day they put trust in what we are producing and for that, we are all very grateful.

Tomorrow marks the end of the 2016 school year and the 19th year of the Flash. It all seems so surreal as the year went by in the blink of an eye. Hundreds of stories produced, hundreds of interviews and many shows aired. This department has truly become an important part of Eastview and is evolving each year. With the 20th anniversary nearing, we look forward to what the future holds and can’t wait to make shows for one last year. As the school sits quiet for the summer, the 4Cast and Flash will soon return, but for now, we’ll just have to stay tuned.

The Flash logo as seen outside of the studio and an original piece from Eastview students.